Photo's from ww2photo.mimerswel.com
Model built by Soloev Gennadievitsch
T34-57 Description from www.militaryphotos.net by Lokos 20-06-2005
On June 13, 1940, president of the Security Council S.Timoshenko referred to Central Committee of the Communist Party and SNK USSR the report "...about insufficient power of the armament of existing KV and T-34 tanks, and about other prospective tank projects". On June 27, the special session of the SNK was devoted to that question. Session acknowledged the insufficient power of the 45 mm tank guns and considered them as having no perspective. To replace them, new 55-60 mm guns should be developed.
At that time, Grabin's design bureau was working already on 57 mm antitank gun (ZIS-2), that's why it was ordered to develop a tank variant of that 57 mm gun, but first drafts of such gun was already developed by Grabin's initiative.
The manufacture of the first prototype of 57 mm tank gun had launched in September 1940, but until December manufactoring preparations were slow because improvement and mass production of the 76.2 mm F-34 tank gun overloaded factory. Nevertheless, in the beginning of December 1940, the very first prototype of 57 mm tank gun was manufactured. Till the end of March 1941, being mounted on gun-carriage, it was on factory trials. In April 1941, gun was mounted on production T-34 and sent to ANIOP for trials on the proving ground. Those trials have revealed an extremely short life of its barrel (overheated after 100-150 shots) and low accuracy.
In July 1941, an improved gun, being named ZIS-4, was installed in T-34 and tested again on Sofrino proving ground. Trials were successful and gun was recommended for service in spite of its cost price. ZIS-4 was too expensive mostly because of very long barrel. Nevertheless its price, gun was accepted for service because of high demand of powerful antitank guns. ZIS-4 was intended to rearm some production T-34 to convert them into "tank-hunters" (T-34-57). Following the order of NKV, ZIS-4 was set up for mass production on factory #92.
Mass production of those guns started in August 1941. In September 1941 it was temporary delayed and on December 1, 1941, it was cancelled. That was because of shortage of 57 mm ammunition and productional expenses. According to report of Ministry of Ammunition (Narkomat Boepripasov), in 1941 the Factory # 92 has manufactured 133 ZIS-4 guns.
Until evacuation, KhPZ had received 21 guns for reaming some production T-34s. STZ had received 20 guns. From October 1, 1941, T-34-57 must been manufactured on "Krasnoye Sormovo" Factory, but despite best my effort, I was unable to find any records in factory's statistic reports.
The project of 57 mm gun was resumed in 1943, when it become clear that all existing guns could not combat with German heavies. In May 1943, the "T-34 tank-hunter" and "KV tank-hunter" were accepted for service again. They were armed with modernised ZIS-4M tank gun that distinguished from its base model by following:
- the gun received a new breech-block that was unified with F-34, ZIS-2, ZIS-3 and ZIS-5;
- the semi-automatic mechanism of the breech-block was simplified;
- the muff's fastening was improved.
The ZIS-4 wasn't provided with panoramic sight, T-34-57 was one of the first tank, that received the MK-4 periscope. Tank didn't have commander's cupola. Specially for successful combat with German heavy tanks, "tank-hunters" had "the armour piercing round of the extra power" that achieved the muzzle velocity of 1010 m/s. However, usage of that ammunition decreased significantly the barrel's life. So, after manufacturing of small party of these rounds (less than 2800 rounds total), all these ammunition was removed from mass production and withdrawn from the Red Army.
The T-34-57 in Action.
"Tank-hunters" of the first party have participated the Battle for Moscow in 1941-1942. In particular, there were 10 T-34-57 in the 21st Tank Brigade, that was formed in Vladimir. On October 14, the brigade has been deployed at Demidov rail station and a day later it was ordered to advance on Turchinovo-Pushkino-Troyanovo and make a flank strike on German troops deployed near Kalinin. Starshiy politruk (Soviet rank) E.Gmurya drove his tank along the Volokolamsk highway had met with big column of German trucks. His tank has destroyed the whole column of 3-km length. After that, tank rushed in German aerodrome and has destroyed a heavy bomber. After that, tank was knocked out by German artillery, two crewmembers were killed. Politruk Gmyrya and sergeant Ishenko escaped and rejoined Red Army. After 4 days, 21st Tank Brigade destroyed 3 German staffs, about 1,000 soldiers, 34 tanks, 210 trucks and 31 guns. Brigade has lost its commander - Hero of the Soviet Union, major Lukin and commander of the 1st battalion Hero of the Soviet Union captain Agibalov. By November 25, all "tank-hunters" of the 21st Tank Brigade were lost.
I could find a mention about 8 T-34-57s being added to the 8th Tank Brigade on October 19, 1941. All I could find about those tanks was mention of lack of ammunition. Unfortunately, I was unable to trace their further fate.
The new T-34-57 "tank-hunters" had appeared on the frontline in August 1943.They've been attached to "special tank company 100". That company had three T-34-57s in its first platoon from August 15 to September 5, 1943. Unfortunately, "tank-hunters" were unlucky. During all those weeks, the company would meet German tanks only once, but in that time the 1st platoon was in reserve and didn't engage the battle. So, "tank-hunters" were unable to prove their efficiency against German armours. Nevertheless, commander of that company captain Volosatov and delegate of the GABTU colonel Zaitzev, have praised T-34-57 very high after shot practice on knocked out German tanks and captured pillboxes and bunkers.
The main drawback of the ZIS-4 and the ZIS-4M tank gun was very low quality of HE projectiles: they either exploded partially or didn't explode at all.
AFAIK the actual drawback of the zis-2/4(m) was it power. It was so power that had no adequate targets at the begin of the war. Its shells penetrate armor of germans t-3 in both sides and exploded behind tank (there is fact when were counted 14 penetrations in t-3). So manufacturing of this gun was stopped in 1942 and restored in 1943 when germans began use t6 "tiger" and other havy tanks.- comments Dmitry Trunikov
During 1943, the Factory #92 had manufactured 172 ZIS-4M guns, then it mass production was cancelled in favour of 85 mm guns. Although, according to factory's report on 1944, it had manufactured additional 19 ZIS-4Ms. Perhaps, for repair some existing "tank-hunters".
T34/85 model 1943/44 with 85mm D-5T gun
In july /august 1944 on the shipyard into Libau on this T -34/85 was established by 8,8 cm gun from the damaged tank Tiger I. To the tank there was also established following German equipment: stowage box from tank Tiger, headlight Notek and large boxes along the sides of corps. From end 1944 this tank was used in Kurland in 12 tank division. The color of tank did not change - left dark green (most probably that tank has new German color -VD). For the best identification on the turret they drew large cross. Number of tank supposedly 18. To the tank were also substituted the identification marks of 12 tank division and "kurlands sign". By crew were drawn 8 white tanks on the barrel and inscriptions "Hi kommet". (But existence of this conversion highly improbably)
SU122 - 122mm howitzer M30
Model built by Gianluca Travero
Model built by Udo Bauer
Conversion T-34/85 from EasternExpress into the hunting tank SU-101 with 100 mm cannon. The SU-101 was tested in the summer and autumn of 1945. The Soviets produced on the same chassis still a variant with the 122mm cannon (SU-102), both vehicles were not built in series
In autumn 1944, due the delaying the mass production of the SU100, The Uralmash's Design Bureau offered a project of a tank destroyer based on the SU100. Like the SU85M, this vehicle was common SU100 but armed with a 122mm Tank Gun D-25S. Such modernisation was possible due to unified fastening of both guns.
The very first trials of the SU122P conducted in October 1944, after that the vehicle was sent to the Governmental trials which were passed as well. By the results of both trials, The SU122P was recommended for service, but it didn't mostly because of slow rate of fire.
T34 Tractor or APV - with steel plate in turret ring
built model by Matthias Muth
During the two-year long siege of Berlin Soviet Army units were fighting house-to-house. Even safe areas came under sniper and mortar fire at times. Several T-34 tanks were converted to APC's to protect troops patrolling the "safe" zones. Originally for the Alternate History Forum
On the website from Alternate History Forum you found also aother simular fake T34-APC. This vehicle has also a troop compartment above the engine deck.
For more information about this vehicle:
Alternat History Forum - T34-APC - (Fake vehicle)
This is a special propaganda tank. On left and right side of the hull are loudspekers. The tank was used by a propaganda platoon during the war on the frontline. It was a propaganda group of former German soldiers (Nationalkomitee Freies Deutschland -NKFD) - posted by Matthias Muth
T34/76 m1943 (hardedge turret) with replaced Commander Cupola from PzIV and extra armour plates on the hull.
This T-34 with flakdrilling picture is photomontage and made from Berge T-34 picture - (http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=42954&start=255)
The list below is from the book mentioned not once here, "Combat History of Schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 653" by Karlheinz Munch, it is on page 214 in the chapter "Operations in the Soviet Union, 2. and 3./schwere Panzerjager-Abteilung 653(April to October 1944)"
On the end of the War the Germans has convert a captured T-34 with 8,8cm Flak 36. The vehicle was in service by the battle group "Kienast". This vehicle was used during the late battle in April 1945 in East-Sachsen.
Owner unknown - pictures from internet
A nice result from Photoshopping - pictures from internet
On the left the fake picture - on the right the original picture
Model built by Andrey Dedin - 1/32 - www.dishmodels.ru
In 1943 the Soviet arms industry have started designing the artillery tractor for replacement AT "Voroshilovetz". The first batch of new tractors
has been assembled on the Kharkov tractor factory (KhTF) in September 1944. These tractors have gone successful military tests on towage of
artillery systems of the big calibers, and average and heavy tanks.
However soon production of tractors AT-45 has been stopped in connection with that KhTF started to make new tank T-44.
Model built by HoH - 1/72 resin AER
Model built by webmaster - 1/72 plastic hull and resin turret - AER
Model built by Zhenmin Han - 1/72 - scratchbuild turret on Dragon T34 hull
Model built by Zhenmin Han - kit MilitaryWheels
Remaining example Batay-ha-Osef Museum, Israel
Model built by webmaster - AER 1/72 plastic hull and resin Turret - reworked wheelunit
Model built by Zhenmin Han - AER 1/72 plastic hull and resin Turret - reworked wheelunit
T-34-L39 130mm SP (Rebuild in 1969)
This T-34/85 Modell 1945 was tested by the East German Army in the year 1959 to take a possibility of swimming.
It was sucessfull but not used.
Note: The T34 is a late version. The turret has an air condition in front of the commanders cupola.
This vehicle is a PostWar T34/85 from East Germany. On the back of the vehicle is an oven for pre-heating the engine. The T34 is a post war and Polish made. The East German army adapted on some T-34's this oven. The oven was used with coal and wood.
Pictures taken from the Czech Magazine HPM 8/1994 - posted by John O'Reilly
This is the East German BLG-34 (Brückenlegegerät 34). It was only a prototype. At picture 1 you see an other t-34 tractor to help the bridgelayer. Thats the reason for no production. Picture 2 seen it on test trails.
Pictures from www.com-central.net, forum.valka.cz, AFV News Discussion Board
This recovery tank is made in Czechoslovakia and under development from 1957 until 1961. In production from 1962 until 1966. There were around 150 vehicles made. This type tank was in service by Czechoslovakia, India and Marokko
Post War East German T-34 prepared for deep water trails
The idea (later realised by the modern tanks) was to drive on the ground of the river to the other side. This version was only experimental.
In January 1941 the A43 project (a modernised variant of the T34, also known as the T34M) and the production of the first two prototypes of the T34M were planned for March 1941. Proposed, that the new tank will be superior to production T34, that this superiority played a negative role in its fate. The Christie suspension was replaced by torsion bar suspension, which resulted in the ground clearance of the T34M being increased by an additional 50mm. In May 1941 the factory had produced 50 pressed turrets for the T34M. In April 1941 there were three hulls ready. But the used V5 diesel were not ready, so final assembly of the T34M was delayed, and during the war, it was abandoned completely.
Model built by Serge Golikov - 1/72
In 1942, the factory in Kulebakskaya produced sixtytwo cast turrets for the T34M. These new style turrets were used on T34 standard hulls. All tanks were used on East front.
Another alternative to cope with the German Tiger was to thicken the T34's armour. A prototype, the T43, was built with 90mm armour, but even this was vulnerable to the new German 88mm tank gun. At the same time, the thicker armour severely compromised the T34's mobility and was considered unacceptable. As a result, attention turned to improving the firepower of the T34's and KV's mechanized gun counterparts.
The T-44, one of the most advanced medium tanks of the second World War, was the culmination of an attamp to improve the T-34. Althoughh it retained a turret very similar to that on the T-34/85, and shared the same roadwheels, track and engine, the hull and the engine layout was completely redesigned and a new torsion bar suspension was added. A very small number saw action in the final months of the war.
Model built by webmaster - 1/76 Ostmodels
Model built by Jozsef Reti
The Teski tank was a Polish update from the T-34.
Model built by John O'Reilly
Model built by John O'Reilly
Model built by John O'Reilly
T34-3 with 76mm gun
No military using
From 1980 up 78 tanks are modified in this civil version and used in the East German coal industry. The GDR (German Democratic Republic) had a lot of open cast mining for brown coal and they used this vehicle there.
E-mail to HenkofHolland
Note: To become a valid e-mail address, replace in email address (at) with @